A few weeks ago the girls over at Bonberi asked me how I stay healthy while I travel, since lord knows I’m always on a plane. Getting on germ filled flights and not sleeping because “what time zone am I in?” takes it toll, that’s for sure. Over the years I’ve created an arsenal of tricks that get me back to New York healthy: from B-vitamin shots at Earthbar to 20 minute jogs to Vitamin C smoothies. You can read the whole article here!
Et voila, a vegan burrito with a pea shoot flower crown. I know, just what you’ve been looking for. Instead of rice, quinoa. Swap out the meat for roasted golden brown cauliflower. In place of flavorless iceberg lettuce, fresh pea shoots. Sour cream is made from coconut milk, lime juice and sea salt. I came up with these alternative burritos the other night and was pretty pleased with the results. I even made sour cream from coconut milk, lime juice and sea salt. All in just 5 super easy steps. The perfect dinner if you ask me.
Cauliflower and pesto quinoa burritos
1 bunch of cauliflower
1 bunch of broccoli
1 cup quinoa
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup basil
1/4 cup pinenuts
1 cloves of garlic
1/4 coconut cream
1 can of black beans
handful of peashoots
Ezekiel sprouted tortillas
Preheat oven to
1. Add the quinoa to the vegetable broth in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Let simmer until all the liquid has evaporated. Set aside.
2. Chop the stems off of the cauliflower and broccoli and separate into tiny florets. drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in oven until golden brown. About 20 minutes or so.
3. Blend basil, pinenuts, garlic, and a generous amount of olive oil (say 1/4 cup-1/2 cup) in a blender until it becomes pesto. Season with s and p. Mix into the quinoa.
4. In a same bowl, combine the coconut cream, the juice from 1/2 of the lime and a pinch of salt. If you want it to be spicy, add the chili powder. I had mine without.
5. Put the pesto quinoa, black beans, roasted veggies on top of a heated tortilla, drizzle with sour cream, top with pea shoots and enjoy. Add some avocado if you’re feeling feisty.